Saturday, November 11, 2023

How can I afford to complete the BB?

 November 11, 2023

I had always planned to go back to collecting the world after my retirement, because I assumed I’d have more time, and I did have a small collection back in the 70’s.  I had a copy of an old edition of a Scott Junior International that my parents had found at a yard sale for me—it had been creamed, so there were only common stamps in the album, but I was familiar with the Scott album(s).

Collecting the world certainly does not have to be expensive.  There are, I’m sure, literally hundreds of thousands of world collectors around the world who buy kiloware, and other bulk stamps to fill albums, and they have, I’m sure, a great time doing this.  But trying to complete a BB can be an expensive journey. 

Perhaps the best way to start is to purchase the largest BB collection you can afford.  On his blog post to Filling Spaces, blogger Bob said “As others have noted, it makes the most sense to jumpstart the process by purchasing a collection already in progress, presumably the largest one can afford, and ideally in a loose-leaf album in good enough condition to not require remounting.” I seeded my BB collection with 3 different BB’s that I purchased on eBay, and started with 11,204 stamps for $455, or about $.04 per stamp.  It is never going to be that inexpensive again!

I began to accumulate quite a bit of material.  For example, I can see in my records the purchase of at least 10 separate BB albums. I also began to purchase country collections and then ultimately box lots in auctions.  A good example would be receiving 5 large boxes once, containing around 30 different albums (and most of these are still in boxes, after I took what I needed for my BB).

So, I sold a few of the BB’s that I had purchased on eBay, but that wasn’t going to sustain my purchasing habit.  So, in June of 2019, I decided to sell my duplicates, and those stamps that did not fit into my BB online.  I realize that I am collecting to the BB differently than most do.  Other collectors have asked me if I keep empty pages for the extras that I find that do not have a space in the BB, and I do not.  I decided to collect the BB only, and any extras, and any duplicates that I accumulate, I decided to sell.

I did not have a lot of inventory to begin with, but I started by taking out every stamp out of each album that I had accumulated with Scott C.V. of $1 or higher, and ended up with, IIRC, about 3 red boxes of inventory.  I checked out eBay, Stamps2Go and HipStamp, and after looking at the costs for each, and the ease of using their bulk loading files, I opted for HipStamp, and I’ve been selling on Hip since June of 2019.

Selling on HipStamp takes up more of my time than collecting stamps for my BB, BIG TIME.  With a flat bed scanner, I can scan stamps in 8- 102 cards at a time, and I can scan 100 stamps to be posted online in about 45 minutes.  But first it takes time to break down whatever collection I’m working on, inserting the stamps into the 102 cards, and then posting each one to my inventory list.  I could do without an inventory list, but to list 100 stamps online with HipStamp’s “bulk lister”, the stamps all need to be in a text (CSV) file, so keeping the inventory list is an outcome of listing the stamps.

I could post some numbers showing how it has worked for me, but for simplicity’s sake, I’ll explain that all of my purchases either from dealers, online or at shows, or from HipStamp, eBay or others, or from auctions are now made from my PayPal account from my Hip sales.  If I go over my PayPal account, I’ll pay my checking account back from my PayPal account when I’ve sold enough.  This is how I’m able to afford my BB completion journey.

I’ve continued to accumulate inventory, and now I’m working out of 12 red boxes, and I have an entire corner of my stamp room filled with material that I haven’t had the time to list yet.  So, the process of accumulating to complete, selling off the rest is an unending, entertaining, and sometimes overwhelming spiral.

And here is the link to my HipStamp store: 

https://www.hipstamp.com/store/coopertown-worldwide-us-classics


No comments:

Post a Comment